Wednesday, February 5, 2014

READ: You must read


You know you've read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend. ~Paul Sweeney

It has been a solid year, and that is generous, since I have found an I-don't-care-how-late-it-is-because-I-need-to-finish-this-chapter type of book. Folks, this book was worth the wait.




~amateur excited Austin airport read phone photography~

I wouldn't say I am an avid Dateline watcher, but my eyes were glued to the television during Amanda Lindhout's story, aired Sept. 6, 2013.

Find it here.




As a freelance journalist, Amanda was kidnapped and held for ransom in Mogadishu for 15 months.  The details of her captivity are artfully described in her memoir, A House in the Sky.

The book is certainly a page-turner, but even more than the story surrounding her hellish experience in Somali, I think we can all learn something from her he faith, focus, and forgiveness.  When questioned about her perseverance during the brutal days as a hostage, she reflects on how she found her safe place in her mind- her own house in the sky.

She also looks like Kate Middleton's taller, Canadian twin. There. I said it. 

Do yourself a favor, and read her book. Then, do yourself an extra special favor, and read about her foundation. They are equally amazing!


No comments:

Post a Comment