Wednesday, July 10, 2013

A Quote Post: On Dreams


"If you don't build your dream, someone else will hire you to help them build theirs."

— Dhirubhai Ambani: Indian business tycoon who founded Reliance Industries


A very special person in my life sent this quote to me yesterday, and I had one of those "ah-ha" moments. I embrace these moments when they come because not only are they are few and far between, but they are also very short-lived.

To me, this quote is not about unionizing or boss bashing. It isn't about quitting my job(s) and starting an at-home toothpick manufacturing business. [Although, my entrepreneurial-minded aunt more than doubled her weekly allowance selling cinnamon toothpicks to fellow 4th graders, despite harsh criticism from the Catholic school faculty.]

Truthfully, I love where I work.  I also love my bosses. And I am not saying that to CYA. Only one of them reads my blog, and she is the one that emailed this quote to me.

I am talking big picture, goal setting, what do I want my life to look like, in say, ten years?

This question sounds vaguely familiar, maybe reminiscent of an assignment that was on my fifth grade syllabus.

I have kicked around this very question quite a few more times since my elementary school days. And I am not as naive as I sound. In my short 29 years on this earth, I have certainly learned that life happens and sometimes the grand plans that I make don't. But that doesn't mean I can't make plans, or have dreams, or make plans for my dreams. Right?

Maybe my prescription glasses are rose-colored after all, but my day is much more enjoyable when I feel I am working towards something fulfilling, call it a goal or a dream. So I think I will do it again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment